The Wolf Tooth Elliptical 96 BCD Chainring for Shimano XT and SLX is not only beautifully machined and lightweight but utilises a patented wide-narrow design that is perfectly suited to 1x setups – dropped chains are a thing of the past. Unlock your dream drivetrain configuration and satisfy your inner tweaker.
Bred from ice-cold Minneapolis winters and explicitly designed to work perfectly on anything Shimano XT and SLX cranks, this Wolf Tooth 96 BCD Chainring means more time riding and less time fumbling with dropped chains.
In line with Wolf Tooth’s guiding ethos of providing unrivalled design innovation, reliability and durability, this chainring employs a patented Drop-Stop® wide-narrow tooth profile which not only keeps the chain securely in place on single chainring setups but dislodges mud, dirt and excess precipitation more efficiently. For additional security in extreme conditions, this chainring is best used with a clutch-type rear derailleur.
Synonymous with ultra-high-end custom builds and stalwart steeds alike, Wolf Tooth chainrings are machined entirely in-house at Wolf Tooth’s HQ in Minnesota, USA. The anodised finish and machined lettering that adorn every chainring bear the hallmark of master craftsmanship.
Wolf Tooth’s PowerTrac Elliptical (PTE) design, as the name indicates, is driven by a concern for power and traction – and crucially for you, premised on a wealth of knowledge from precision engineers who also love to ride bikes.
A growing number of riders are converting to elliptical chainrings on 1x setups for the simple reason that they have been demonstrated to improve ride quality.
The idea behind elliptical chainrings can be summarised as follows: biomechanical power output varies throughout a pedal stroke, at positions where power is higher, having a larger diameter section of chainring, and thus greater engagement area, translates into greater forward propulsion. At positions where biomechanical power is lower, a smaller chainring diameter means greater efficiency in rotation. Overall what this means for you is maximised power output throughout each pedal stroke.
Wolf Tooth note that elliptical rings also mean steadier torque on the rear wheel as there is less spinning on the downstroke and easier rotation in between these. Steadier torque on the rear wheel gives better traction and sustained momentum – great on tough climbs and through headwinds.
If you’re a discerning cyclist looking to invest in a premium-grade chainring that’ll outlast its competitors and function perfectly on a 1x set up, this is the only way to go.
- Patented Drop-Stop® wide-narrow tooth profile for minimised dropped chains
- Perfect for 1x setups
- Machined in-house at Wolf Tooth’s HQ in Minnesota, USA
- Beautiful anodised finish
- These rings fit on the Shimano XT M8000 and SLX M7000 1x or 2x cranksets.
- Use only the stock Shimano XT M8000 or SLX M7000 chainring bolts
- These CAN be mounted to the XTR 9000 series cranks, but you will have to use the bolt caps that come with that crankset and you will need to file roughly 1mm off the threaded boss on each bolt cap (they are a little too long and don't allow the ring to be tightened down).
- Wolf Tooth’s patented Drop-Stop® wide/narrow tooth profile for the ultimate chain retention and mud shedding ability
- For 1x9, 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 drivetrains (including SRAM Eagle)
- Compatible with all 10, 11, and 12-speed chains except Shimano 12-speed chains.
- If using a 9-speed drivetrain use a 10-speed chain (shifts and works well on a 9-speed drivetrain and fits the ring tighter for better chain retention).
- Chainline - 49mm
- Boost Crankset Chainline - 52 mm
- Must use the stock chainring bolts. The Wolf Tooth chainring bolts are a different size.
- Ovality of 10% and timing of 112° after TDC (top dead centre)
- Maximum diameter is that of a chainring 2t bigger than the size you order (so be sure there is adequate chainstay clearance!)
ABOUT Wolf Tooth
Designed, prototyped and tested to withstand the harshest Minnesota conditions, each Wolf Tooth product improves the ride experience with ingenious solutions to level the playing field in the ever-evolving world of cycling technology. Whether you want to go 1x, put a dish-sized cassette on your gravel bike or add a spash of colour to your trusty steed, Wolf Tooth has you covered, whatever you ride.Read more about Wolf Tooth.
Founded by real cycling enthusiasts in 2004, our passion for elite performance runs through everything we do at Saddleback. Our team of dedicated roadies, mountain bikers and triathletes practice what we preach to bring you the finest cycling products and a superior service to match. We're the official UK home of Castelli, Chris King, ENVE, HJC, Moots Cycles, PUSH, Sidi, Silca, Sportful, Stages, Troy Lee Designs and Wolf Tooth.